Jun 14, 2024  
2024-2025 Catalog DRAFT (working copy for edits) 
2024-2025 Catalog DRAFT (working copy for edits)

Graduate Programs

Graduate Degrees Offered

The University of Arkansas at Monticello offers the following master’s degree programs:

School of Arts and Humanities

Click here to go to the information for the School of Arts and Humanities. 


    Graduate MajorGraduate Certificate

    School of Education

    Click here to go to the information for the School of Education. 


      Graduate MajorGraduate CertificateEndorsement

      College of Forestry, Agriculture and Natural Resources

      Click here to go to the information for the College of Forestry, Agriculture and Natural Resources. 


        Graduate MajorGraduate Certificate

        School of Nursing

        Click here to go to the information for the School of Nursing.   


          Graduate MajorPost-masters Certificate

          Admission Requirements

          The University of Arkansas at Monticello admits both degree seeking and non-degree seeking graduate students. All graduate students must first be admitted to the University, while degree-seeking students must also be admitted to a specific graduate program. It is important to note that acceptance to the University for graduate study does not guarantee acceptance to a specific graduate degree program.

          Admission to the University

          All students must meet the admission requirements to the University of Arkansas at Monticello before they may enroll in graduate classes. Admission to the University does not guarantee acceptance to a specific graduate degree program.

          Regular Admission

          Requirements for unconditional admission to UAM are:

          • a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution or proof of admission into the UAM RN to BSN program;
          • a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.50 or better;
          • proof of required immunization; and
          • additional documents may be required for international students.

          Provisional Admission

          Provisional admission may be extended to students who have not completed the university admission process at the time of registration. Official transcripts, proof of immunization, and all other required documentation submitted by the last class day of a spring or fall semester or by the last class day of a summer term. Students who do not meet the deadline may be administratively withdrawn from classes by the Registrar with no refund of tuition and fees, and the student will be ineligible to register provisionally for a future semester. Financial aid may also be affected. Questions about provisional admission should be directed to the Office of Admissions or the Office of the Registrar.

          Probationary Admission

          Applicants who do not meet the minimum grade point average of 2.50 may petition to the Graduate Council for probationary admission. Probationary admission will allow a student to enroll in up to 6 hours of graduate course work. To continue enrollment in graduate classes, a student admitted on probationary admission must complete all registered graduate coursework with a grade point average of 3.00 or better.

          International Applicants

          International applicants must provide the following to be admitted to the University: official Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) results with a minimum score of 550 (paper based) or 213 (computer-based); or 80 internet-based; and supporting documents required to receive an I-20.

          Admission to a Degree Program

          In addition to being admitted to the University, all students seeking admission to a specific graduate degree program must apply and be admitted to that program of study. Admission requirements for each degree program are listed under their academic unit’s section of the catalog and on each graduate program’s website. Acceptance into a specific graduate degree program is not guaranteed and is subject to each unit’s graduate admission requirements and policies.

          Application Process

          Application to the University

          An application for admission to the university may be obtained by contacting the UAM Office of Admissions or at the Office of Admissions’ website. Submission of official transcripts is required.

          UAM Office of Admissions
          Student Success Center 101/103
          P. O. Box 3600
          Monticello, AR 71656
          Telephone: (870) 460-1026
          Toll Free: (800) 844-1826
          Fax: (870) 460-1926
          Website: https://www.uamont.edu/admissions/index.html
          Online Application: https://bit.ly/36NBgnk

          Application to a Specific Graduate Program

          The following steps are required to apply to a specific degree program:

          • Apply for admission to the University.
          • Identify the graduate program in which you are interested.
          • Check that graduate program’s admission requirements and application deadlines located in this catalog or on the graduate program’s website. Failure to meet any application deadlines will result in an incomplete application which may not be processed.
          • Contact the program’s graduate coordinator for additional information.
          • Submit a completed application and all required documentation to the graduate program coordinator by the established deadline. For the School of Education, include two (2) OFFICIAL transcripts from ALL previously attended colleges and universities.

          Acceptance of Transfer Credit

          Up to nine transfer credits may be accepted from another institution for inclusion into a student’s UAM graduate academic record. No courses with grades below a “B” or older than 6 years will be accepted for transfer credit. Acceptance of transfer credit toward the student’s degree plan must be approved by the degree program committee, the graduate coordinator and the dean of the school.

          Enrollment Limits for Non-Degree Seeking Students

          Non-degree seeking graduate students will be allowed to take no more than 6 hours of coursework from any graduate degree program of study prior to being fully admitted to that graduate degree program. Credits completed by non-degree seeking students at UAM may be transferred towards a degree program subject to the specific program’s degree program committee, the graduate coordinator and the dean of the school.

          Inactive Students

          A graduate student who has not been enrolled for one semester or more will be classified as inactive. To resume graduate study, the student must reapply for admission to the University and their specific graduate program. Refer to individual graduate program requirements.

          Course Loads and Course Work

          The maximum course load is 12 credit hours during the spring or fall semesters and 6 hours for each summer session. To be considered full-time status during the academic year, graduate students must enroll in 6 hours during the fall and spring semester. Students who hold a graduate assistantship must enroll for a minimum of 6 hours during the fall and spring semesters. Students who hold assistantships should refer to their specific degree programs for enrollment requirements.

          Normally, courses older than six 6 years will not apply to a graduate program of study. Acceptance of courses older than six years must be appealed to the Graduate Council.

          Independent Study

          A graduate student’s intellectual growth can be enriched when he/she is engaged in independent study.

          Independent study courses may require extensive independent study, research, formal written reports and regular conferences with the instructor. A detailed description of the independent study and its requirements must be submitted for approval to the instructor, graduate coordinator, dean/chair, and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs/Graduate Dean. A student may complete only one independent study course each semester. Independent study should not duplicate existing courses in the academic catalog.

          Only students who have been admitted to a degree program will be eligible for independent study. Normally, a maximum of six hours of independent study may apply to a degree program.

          Professional Development Courses

          Courses offered specifically for the purpose of professional development are designated with a PD course prefix. These courses focus on the exact skill development needed by the professional that is relevant for a specific need and purpose. PD courses are not transferable into a master’s degree graduate program of study at the University of Arkansas at Monticello.

          Grades and Academic Status

          Final Grades for courses are A, B, C, D, F, CR, or I

          These grades indicate the following:

          A–Excellent graduate work
          B–Good graduate work
          C–Marginal graduate work
          D–Poor graduate work
          F–Failing graduate work

          No credit is earned for courses in which a grade of “D” or “F” is recorded and courses must be repeated with a satisfactory grade for earned credit. An “I” may be assigned to a student who has circumstances that have prevented completion of all work and the work completed is of passing quality. The course requirements must be completed by the deadline set by the instructor for the “I” to be changed to a grade. If the requirements are not met by the deadline, the “I” will be changed to an “F”. Students whose grade record includes three courses in their approved graduate program of study with grades of “C” or lower will be dismissed from their graduate program.

          Advisement Reports

          Prior to the completion of 15 graduate-level hours, graduate students must have an advisement report on file in the Office of the Registrar. Graduate students who have completed 15 graduate-level hours must have a signed advisement report on file to register for the next enrollment period. Advisement reports must include the signature of the student, advisor, graduate coordinator, Dean, and Registrar.

          Undergraduate Students Enrolling in Graduate Courses

          Qualified undergraduate students may be permitted to enroll in graduate courses for either undergraduate or graduate credit within the following guidelines. Only undergraduate students within 30 hours of graduation may petition to enroll in graduate courses through the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs/Graduate Dean. A minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.00, approval by the course instructor, faculty advisor, graduate coordinator, and consent of the dean or chair of the offering unit must be presented as part of the petition. When circumstances warrant, upon petition from the student, the Graduate

          Council may authorize awarding graduate credit. An undergraduate student enrolling in graduate courses for graduate credit may not apply such credits to undergraduate degree requirements. (See Catalog Addendums  for updated version.)

          Application of Undergradute Credits toward a Graduate Credential (Effective January 1, 2024)

          The university recognizes that in some cases upper-level undergraduate course credits may be appropriately applied toward a graduate credential. Upon evaluation of upper-level undergraduate hours by the student’s graduate advisor and upon a positive recommendation by the advisor, up to 50% of the hours required for a graduate credential may be met by upper-level undergraduate hours with the approval of the graduate coordinator of the program, the academic dean housing the graduate program, and the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs/Graduate Dean. 

          Academic Conduct Code

          Academic dishonesty involves any act that undermines the professional standards and integrity of the academic programs at the University of Arkansas at Monticello. Academic dishonesty includes, but is not limited to: A) cheating, B) plagiarism; and C) misuse of University documents.

          Academic dishonesty is considered unsatisfactory progress and may result in an “F” grade(s), withdrawal from a course(s), dismissal from the UAM Graduate School and/or from the graduate degree program. The level of penalty is determined by the faculty member, advisor, school dean, and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs/Graduate Dean.


          Any graduate student whose course work is unsatisfactory or who violates good student conduct or campus employment rules may be dismissed from graduate courses or graduate programs.

          Policy and Regulation Changes

          The University reserves the right to change any other regulations affecting the student body. Changes shall become effective whenever the proper authorities so determine, and shall apply not only to prospective students but also to those currently enrolled in the University.

          Graduation Under a Particular Catalog

          Students have a maximum of six years to graduate under the catalog in effect at the time of their admission to a specific graduate program.

          Students have the following two options: 1) abiding by the requirements of the UAM catalog in effect at the time of their original enrollment, or 2) abiding by a more current active UAM catalog, as long as they were enrolled at UAM during the period that the catalog was in effect. Changes in academic programs or actions taken by authorities external to the University (e.g., accrediting agencies or state agencies) may make it necessary for a student to move to a more recent catalog.

          Second UAM Master’s Degree

          After completing a first UAM master’s degree, a student can earn a second master’s degree by earning 30 percent of the required hours for the second master’s (as few as 9 credit hours), assuming that the coursework from the first degree is relevant and appropriate to the second. All requirements for the second master’s degree must be met. The specific courses applied to a second UAM master’s degree from the first UAM master’s degree must be approved by the student’s major advisor, graduate coordinator, school dean, and the Dean of the Graduate School.

          Appeals of Academic Policy

          Appeal rights are open to all students in graduate programs. Appeals should be initiated through the graduate student’s advisor and pursued with the school dean, Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs/Graduate Dean, and the Graduate Council.


          All graduate course and thesis requirements must be satisfactorily completed prior to participation in commencement. Graduate students lacking other degree requirements may complete a “Graduate Request for Participation in Commencement” form in the office of the graduate dean. All requests for participation in commencement will be considered on an individual basis.